If you’re overweight and in the market for a new mattress, you might wonder where to purchase a mattress that will give you the right support.
Luckily, there are lots of good options out there, but you need to know what you’re looking for.
What should you consider when buying a mattress?
If you weigh over 230 pounds, you could sink into your mattress, which puts more pressure on it.
You need a mattress that’s higher on the firmness scale, and this will especially give you pressure relief if you sleep on your side or stomach.
If you sleep on the wrong mattress, you can wake up with aches and pains or not get the restful sleep you deserve.
Let’s take a look at the best mattress for heavy people, along with four alternative mattresses that you’ll want to jump into at the end of the day.
Now that we’ve looked at the general specs of five of the best mattresses for heavy people, let’s look at each of them in greater detail, starting with the best mattress for heavy people.
Best Mattress For Heavy People – Reviews & Buying guide for 2020
winner: Idle Sleep Luxury Firm Hybrid Mattress
The most important thing we need from a mattress is support and if you’re overweight then this is especially true. The mattress we’ve found with the most support for this very reason is the Idle Sleep Hybrid.
The luxury firm option of this mattress uses the brand’s Buoyancy Foam which has 400% more support than standard regular foam, and an additional 1,000 smart support coils layered underneath.
This hybrid comes in a few different styles but the luxury firm is best for overweight sleepers and gives just the right amount of support and luxurious comfort that we need at night.
The edge support and comfort of this mattress are the most enviable features and the ones that most reviewers raved about. This unique feeling of safety and coziness is achieved by the edge to edge pocketed coils that reside in the middle of the mattress.
They give you a supportive sleep and offer motion isolation so even if you’re sharing the bed with someone else, you’ll never feel each other move around.
On the negative side of things though, if you share a bed with a lighter person they might not find it as comfortable as you.
The bed is also exceptionally heavy and needs assistance to get set up once it’s delivered so compared to other bed-in-a-box styles that are common online, it’s not exactly the easiest to have delivered.
The Idle Sleep Hybrid comes in sizes from twin to California King, but for overweight sleepers you might prefer something larger to stretch out comfortably on.
It’s made with Certipur certified foams that are good for you and the planet, and it has a natural fire-resistant barrier layer built-in to give you peace of mind. The Cooling Buoyancy Foam ensures you a breathable and cool sleep which is good news for those who overheat at night.
The Idle Sleep Hybrid is covered by an 18-month sleep satisfaction guarantee which gives you a full year and a half to determine whether this mattress is exactly what you need, so you don’t have to feel uneasy about buying online.
The California King size costs just under $1,500 and is worth every penny, especially when you include their lifetime guarantee and free shipping into the mix.
Runner-Up: Good Morning Apollo Hybrid Mattress
If you like your mattress to be feature-rich with all the bells and whistles designed for your comfort, the Good Morning Apollo Hybrid Mattress is a great choice.
This mattress is made with a special type of high-density memory foam that’s been infused with micro-gel beads and copper, offering support, comfort, and antimicrobial properties.
The Good Morning Apollo comes in sizes from twin to California King, and all of them have a supportive 12 inches of thickness.
According to customers, the best feature of this mattress was the open-cell memory foam used by Good Morning to give it pressure point relief.
The two inches of this combined with three inches of edge support means overweight sleepers will get the relief they need all over their body, and there’ll be no fear of falling off the mattress when you’re sleeping close to the edge.
Good edge support is crucial when you’re a heavier sleeper, and this mattress has it in spades.
This is a hybrid that feels more like a foam-only mattress, so if you’re someone who likes the feel of foam it might suit you better. For sleepers who want to know they’re being supported by coils and like the extra strength they give, you might choose to shop around.
There’s just one inch of aeroduct pocketed steel micro-coils in the Apollo mattress which doesn’t make it feel as firm as it should.
Other noteworthy features of the Good Morning Apollo Hybrid Mattress include the various layers that make it up, including two load-bearing base layers made of high-density support foam.
You’ll also get a Polar Max cooling cover that lets your body breathe even in the highest temperatures, and it can be unzipped and tossed into the wash for a clean sleep whenever it needs.
The Good Morning Apollo Hybrid Mattress is a Canadian made mattress, and you’ll have to pay a small fee for delivery to the US.
However, the brand offers a decent 15-year warranty and 120 days sleep satisfaction guarantee, as well as the reputation of being one of the best mattress manufacturers in the country.
All this and more is possible for around $1,500 for the California King size, so it’s an investment in your sleep that’s worth making.
Alternative: Layla Hybrid Mattress
The Layla Hybrid Mattress is ideal for sleepers who want to mix things up, with flappable firmness but strong support offered on either side.
The Infinity Edge coil system is what gives this hybrid its support and it’s made up of six inches of individually wrapped coils and a double coil perimeter for unrivaled edge support.
It comes in sizes from twin to California King and works on all bedding configurations from adjustable to platform beds.
The coolest thing about this mattress is the “flappable” factor that Layla Sleep is known for and it means you get two styles of mattress for the price of one.
With symmetric layers on either side of the coils, you’re able to flip the mattress over so you can experience either a firm or soft surface. When you need something softer, just flip it over, and you think your back needs a dose of strong support, keep it on the firm side.
However, some customers have mentioned that even the softer side of this mattress wasn’t soft enough. Layla Sleep rates it about 4/10 in firmness but others think it’s more like a 6/10.
If you’re planning on buying this because you prefer a luxury soft mattress with coil support inside, you probably won’t like the result. A mattress topper could be added, but it’s likely going to be easier buying a mattress that has the softness already built in.
The Layla Hybrid is made with a total of 3.5 inches of copper gel memory foam which has natural antimicrobial properties and rapid cooling and heating transfer.
You’ll also find layers of airflow support foam to keep you comfortable regardless of the temperature you’re sleeping in. With a super soft fabric cover that can be unzipped and washed, you’ll always have a healthy and comfortable sleep.
The Layla Hybrid Mattress costs just over $1,500 for the California King size and is delivered free of charge with the option for free returns.
It’s covered by a 10-year warranty and 120 night sleep guarantee, so there’s no risk in giving it a tree. If you’re a heavier sleeper who likes to mix things up in the bedroom, this flippable hybrid could be your dream come true.
Alternative: Nolah Signature 12” California King
For a budget-friendly but supportive base to sleep on, one of our favorites is the Nolah Signature 12” Mattress.
This all foam mattress works best in a California King size there’s ample room for you to stretch out and you get the choice of a soft or firm surface thanks to the flippable design.
This mattress is 12 inches thick with a two-inch reinforced base that lets you sleep comfortably knowing you’re going to be supported, no matter your size.
The good thing about this mattress is that you get a truly different feel on either side of the mattress, so there’s a super soft side and a firm and supportive side.
Although heavier sleepers usually prefer a firmer mattress to keep them comfortably supported, you’ll still find a surprising amount of support even on the soft side, which is hard to come by with these types of mattresses.
There are some downsides though, with some customers noticing a chemical smell when their mattress arrived. If this occurs, you’ll need to give it a few days to air out before sleeping on it comfortably.
Additionally, some people mentioned that the mattress felt as though it was flimsy compared to others, and although it has a lifetime warranty they wondered if it would last more than 10 years in the bedroom.
The Nolah Signature 12” mattress is made with layers of cooling Nolah AirFoam, supportive high resilience foam, and a high-density core foundation, and no matter what side you sleep on you’ll benefit from them all.
They’re all wrapped up in a Tencel cover made of botanic materials that can be removed and washed to keep your sleep clean.
The California King size Nolah Signature 12” Mattress costs around $1,300 which makes it one of the cheapest we’ve found.
With a lifetime warranty, free shipping and returns, and a 120 night sleep satisfaction guarantee, it has everything you need for peace of mind when making an online purchase.
If you’d prefer an all-foam mattress but still need the support for your physical stature, the Nolah is one of the best choices out there.
Alternative: Puffy Lux Mattress
The Puffy Lux Mattress is the softer version from this famous brand and it’s made with a firm core support layer that makes it ideal for overweight people.
It ranges in size up to the California King and has won countless awards that vouch for its quality, as well as being one of the most famous brands around.
The best thing about the Puffy Lux is how supportive it feels thanks to the various layers of foam like the Cooling Cloud and Body Adapting Dual Cloud Foam, meaning your pressure points are targeted and the strain is taken off them when you lay down.
However, the biggest complaint of the Puffy is its lack of edge support, which is highlighted when you’re a heavier person.
The Puffy Lux uses an advanced temperature regulation system called the ClimateComfort layer that keeps you cool or warm at night, depending on your body. It’s covered by a lifetime warranty and is made right here in the USA for your peace of mind.
The California King size Puffy Lux costs around $1,700 and comes with a 101-night sleep satisfaction guarantee. If you’re happy to spend a little extra and want medium firm support without the need for any coils, this is the way to go.
Sweetnight Queen Mattress in a Box – 12 Inch Plush Pillow Top Hybrid Mattress
This medium-firm mattress makes the number one spot on our reviews. Here’s why.
- If you’ve ever experienced having your sleep disturbed by a partner who moves around a lot, then this is the mattress for you as it ensures motion isolation.
- The mattress is made with 775 coils, gel memory foam, and individually wrapped innerspring to give you the most comfortable sleep ever. It also offers relief for people with back pain.
- On the subject of its support, this mattress has what’s known as a 3-Zone Pocket Spring. This means that your weight gets evenly distributed along the mattress, preventing pressure points from hurting.
- One of the problems with foam mattresses is that they can get hot. This mattress prevents that. It has a gel foam layer that adjusts to your temperature and weight, which creates a buffer between you and the mattress’s coils so you feel comfortable.
- The steel spring coil is made of high-quality carbon that prevents damage and rust, making the mattress more durable.
- You want to feel supported when you sleep, but also be assured that you don’t have any harmful toxins lurking in your mattress. The Sweetnight mattress offers peace of mind as it CertiPUR-US certified. It’s been made without the use of harmful chemicals such as mercury and formaldehyde.
- This mattress fits all Queen size frames, such as flat platform and box springs.
- Some users have reported that the mattress was more on the firm side than they would have liked, which is not comfortable for everyone and worth bearing in mind if you’re looking for a softer mattress. Although a firmer mattress is considered to be better for heavier people, it should never feel uncomfortable.
- Other users have reported that there is no edge support with this mattress. Edge support refers to the resistance the mattress provides around its edges, such as when you sit on it. You also want edge support to prevent sagging and rolling off the mattress.
This Sweetnight mattress costs $498.00. It has many great features about it if you’re looking for a more supportive, high-quality mattress. It will support your weight while keeping you cool at night. Based on that, it’s certainly the best mattress for overweight people.
Best Price Mattress 10-Inch Memory Foam Mattress
This mattress is focused on giving you deep sleep, thanks to its multiple layers of foam. Here’s what you need to know about it so you can find out if it’s the right mattress for you.
- This Best Price mattress makes use of not one but three types of foam for increased support and comfort during the night. It’s got memory foam, ventilated soft foam for increased air circulation, and high-density foam that helps to give you more support.
- This mattress works hard to relieve pressure points in the body that can suffer from discomfort and pain. How it does this is by having parts of it that are more flexible than others to accommodate your hips and shoulders. This is especially beneficial if you move around while you sleep because it means that no matter what position you sleep in, you’ll feel comfortable.
- The mattress comes with a comfortable poly jacquard cover. Poly jacquard is a fabric that’s made of polyester, and it’s popular because it’s durable.
- Some users have reported that when they removed the mattress cover, they found that the mattress contained a fiberglass liner. Some others have stated that even when they don’t remove the cover, they end up with specks of fiberglass underneath the bed. However, it’s worth noting that other users haven’t reported such problems.
This mattress costs $213.42. It’s a value-for-money mattress that can help you sleep better, and it’s especially valuable for you if you like to sleep on your side as it relieves the body’s pressure points
Sweetnight 12 Inch Queen Size Mattress Medium Firm
Here’s another Sweetnight mattress, but this one is lighter in weight than the previous one that’s been featured in our buying guide. Let’s jump into its benefits.
- One of the biggest benefits of this Sweetnight mattress is that its gel foam layer helps to keep you cool during the night. It actually pulls heat away from your body and prevents you from feeling hot and sweaty during sleep. In addition to its gel, it also has open cells that work to make the foam more breathable.
- It has high-density foam to give you edge support that prevents sagging or rolling off the bed.
- It’s got all the healthy features you want in a mattress: the foam is antibacterial, hypoallergenic, breathable, as well as resistant to dust mites. These all contribute to a much better quality of sleep.
- Some users have reported that the mattress is quite firm and doesn’t become softer over time which can cause you to feel that it’s too hard. If you’re not interested in having a firm mattress, that is something to consider before purchasing this one.
This Sweetnight mattress is a bit more expensive than the other Sweetnight mattress we featured earlier in this article, coming in at $568.00. While that might seem too expensive, there are benefits to owning this mattress. It’s especially worth purchasing if you like firmer mattresses.
Signature Design by Ashley Limited Edition Pillowtop Queen Mattress
This is a pillowtop mattress that can turn your sleep into a much more comfortable, luxurious one. It can be said to be a combination mattress because it gives you support and comfort.
- This mattress by Signature Design has layers of foam, gel memory foam, and wrapped coils. That means you get relief on pressure points in your body while also having less motion transfer to reduce your sleep quality.
- While it’s plush, it also offers good support, giving you the best of both worlds for the most comfortable sleep.
- It comes with a knit cover for extra comfort and luxury.
- Some users have reported that the mattress expanded as soon as it was removed from its box. This prevents the hassle of having to wait hours or days for the mattress to expand, meaning you can use it right away!
- Some users have complained that the mattress has softened over time, causing them to feel like they’re sinking into it. This is something to bear in mind if you prefer having a firmer mattress, however you might be able to deal with the issue by purchasing a strong and durable bed frame underneath the mattress so that it feels firmer to sleep on.
This Signature Design mattress is $315.00, so it’s a mattress that won’t break the bank while giving you the support and comfort that you want from your bed.
Zinus Memory Foam 12 Inch Green Tea Mattress
You might have read the name of this product and wondered, “Green tea? In a mattress?” It’s certainly intriguing! Here’s what you should know about it.
- This mattress makes use of green tea extract in its memory foam to give you pressure relief and comfort. Green tea in mattresses is used to replace the use of petroleum with natural plant oil in order to keep the mattress fresh and healthy, while being better for the environment. If you’re following an eco-friendly lifestyle or want to start, this is the mattress for you.
- The mattress offers high quality support, thanks to its four levels of foam. As the manufacturer stipulates, there are two inches of comfort foam, three inches of memory foam, 3.5 inches of airflow high-density foam, and also 3.5 inches of airflow high density base support foam.
- Besides for its green tea extract, the mattress also has what’s known as “ActivCharcoal.” This works to naturally decrease moisture and odors.
- Some users have complained about a strong chemical smell being released from the mattress after they unpacked it that won’t go away. However, others have not experienced this problem. It’s always a good idea to unpack your mattress and leave it to air itself out for a few days in a well-ventilated room before using it as this can prevent odors from hanging around.
This Zinus memory foam mattress costs $239.00. It’s much more budget-friendly than some other mattresses we’ve featured in our buying guide, while also offering the extra benefits of green tea extract that’s better for the planet while also being good for your health.
Best Mattresses For Heavy People Buying Guide
Now that we’ve looked at five of the best mattresses for heavy people, it’s worth considering some frequently asked questions about mattresses and body weight.
Do mattresses have weight limits?
Mattress manufacturers will sometimes stipulate a weight limit for their products that should not be exceeded as doing so can cause damage to the mattress, but these figures will vary depending on the model and brand of mattress that you’re interested in purchasing.
That said, it’s good to know that most king and queen mattresses will support at least 600 pounds of weight, as Tuck reports.
If you’re interested in a specific mattress and aren’t sure about its mattress weight limit, you should reach out to the manufacturer to ask them about it.
What is the best type of mattress for a heavy person?
When choosing a mattress that supports heavier weight, there are quite a few options at your disposal, as can be seen with the products in our mattress reviews.
There are also some important things to consider when choosing the right kind of mattress to support your body weight or that of your partner. These include the following:
Ideally, you should choose a mattress that’s at least 12 inches thick so that it will provide the correct support for your body if you are overweight.
However, a thickness of nine to 10 inches is also considered good, as Tuck reports, so those mattresses are also worth considering.
Most of the mattresses featured in this guide are 12 inches, except for the Best Price Mattress that’s 10 inches.
There are two main types of mattresses that are recommended for heavier people. These are:
- Innerspring mattresses, that have a steel coil core between foam layers. Thicker coils tend to be more durable and they will offer more support, so they’re worth looking for in a mattress.
- Foam mattresses, but it’s important to look at the density of the foam mattress. High-density foam is recommended for heavier sleepers, as it will offer more support and be more durable. An example of a quality high-density foam mattresses that we’ve featured in our guide is the Best Price Mattress 10-Inch Memory Foam Mattress. So, while it might not be 12 inches thick, it certainly makes up for that by giving your body better support while you sleep.
When shopping for a mattress, you might steer clear of ones made of foam because of how they mold to your body’s shape and can feel hot.
However, you can combat this by choosing memory foam that has a gel layer on top.
An example that we’ve featured in our guide is the Sweetnight 12 Inch Queen Size Mattress that molds to your body’s shape, offering support, while still keeping you cool because of its gel layer that draws heat away from the body.
What is the best thickness for a mattress?
Earlier, we talked about why it’s important to have a mattress thickness of at least 10 to 12 inches if you’re carrying more weight. However, weight isn’t the only factor to consider when it comes to mattress thickness.
When you’re looking at memory foam mattresses in particular, there’s a minimum thickness that should be present to ensure that the mattress will perform well against wear and tear.
As Memory Foam Mattress Reviews reports, you should avoid memory foam mattress thickness of six and even eight inches.
This is because they’re too thin to give you enough support – and that’s the case for the average person, never mind someone who has extra weight.
The site goes on to state that a memory foam mattress of 10 inches will be suitable for people who weigh up to 250 pounds, but a 12-inch thickness is much more appropriate and comfortable if you’re looking for the best mattress for large person.
That said, bear in mind that you should consider how easy you find it to climb in and out of bed because the thicker the mattress, the higher the bed will be!
What is the best bed frame for a heavy person?
It’s not just the mattress that you need to consider, but also the bed frame. Some bed frames are not suitable for heavier people.
However, it’s worth bearing in mind that most bed frames will be able to accommodate people who weigh up to 500 pounds, as The Sleep Judge reports.
You can find heavy-duty bed frames on the market, so that should be your first choice if you weigh more than 500 pounds.
If you’ve seen some interesting bed frames at the shops or online, you need to ensure that they have the correct supportive properties before you purchase them.
The most important thing to look for is sturdiness. You want the bed to be strong to hold your weight comfortably.
This also means that it shouldn’t squeak if you move around on your bed. Here are some other properties to look for that will also reveal that the bed frame will be durable and sturdy:
A bed frame rests on legs, so you want to ensure that the legs will be strong enough to hold the mattress and your body weight without sagging or breaking.
Therefore, a bed frame that contains more legs than what is considered average – that is, four to seven legs – is a good idea.
You should look for a bed frame that has slats in both vertical and horizontal directions to provide better support for your body and mattress.
When choosing a foam mattress, it’s important to know that the gaps between slats should be about three or so inches so that the mattress can’t sag or move through the gaps, The Sleep Judge reports.
There’s much debate between wood and metal bed frames, with some people saying that wood is stronger for heavier people while others choosing metal in favor of wood.
There are really good arguments made for bed frames that are made out of steel. They won’t warp or bend under heavy weight and they’re lighter to carry while being durable.
Wood, on the other hand, can warp and will be much more difficult to carry if you need to transport your bed frame, such as when moving into a new home.
Are Hybrid Mattresses Good for Heavier People?
Having coils in a mattress gives it a stronger foundation as it’s able to hold more weight and help to distribute it evenly.
A hybrid mattress is ideal for people of a heavier weight due to the addition of foam layers to the mattress, as they add a softness that makes it comfortable to lay on and still allows the sleeper to sink in comfortably.
A hybrid mattress is usually designed to suit an exact weight range so you can shop for one that suits your body, ensuring it will give the right combination support and comfort.
Why Are They Called Hybrid Mattresses?
A hybrid mattress is one made with both foam and spring support, with the springs usually being in between layers of foam. Traditional mattresses are usually either made entirely of foam or with coils or springs but a hybrid combines them both.
The benefits of a hybrid mattress are that they provide softness on top but with support underneath, optimal edge support, and a cheaper price tag than purchasing a spring mattress alone.
Choosing a mattress is never easy and this is exacerbated by the fact that it’s an item you want to keep for at least a decade.
When you need a mattress to cater to heavier weight, look no further than this guide on the best mattress for heavy people.
In this buying guide of mattress reviews, we’ve featured five of the best mattresses on the market that will keep you cool, support your body, relieve pressure points, and help you sleep much better every night.
Best of all, they don’t have to be expensive!
We’ve also looked at some of the most important factors to look for when buying a new mattress for your bed so that you prevent aches, pains, or general discomfort from getting in the way of you and quality sleep.