The better the mattress is, the more comfortable it will be, and the better you will be able to sleep.
A good mattress has the potential to impact every single facet of your life.
Not only does it affect your comfort, but it also has an effect on the functionality of your bedroom.
If your mattress isn’t comfortable, it will result in a lack of sleep, which will eventually lead to a poor diet, irritability, and an overall downfall in your health.
This makes investing in a good mattress totally worth it.
If replacing your mattress is on your to-do list, you might already be on the hunt for the best mattresses out there.
However, you must have noticed something by now – mattresses are really expensive!
The prices of mattresses range from $200 to $5000.
It is not that you won’t be able to get yourself a mattress in a low budget, but if you’re looking for a mattress that offers premium comfort, you have to pay a premium price for it.
If you’ve ever wondered to yourself, why are mattresses expensive?
You have come to the right place. We are going to talk about the different factors that add up to a mattress’s cost so that you know why you’re paying so much money for this essential bedroom item!
- 1 What Adds up To a Mattress’s Cost?
- 2 Shipping Costs
- 3 Labor Cost
- 4 Production Cost
- 5 Cost of Customization
- 6 Cost of Workmanship
- 7 Marketing Cost
- 8 How to Save Money While Buying Mattresses?
What Adds up To a Mattress’s Cost?
All mattresses may look alike if you’re looking at them from afar, but they differ from each other in a number of ways, which is also why the prices vary so much.
The price of a mattress is inclusive of a lot of factors, which we have listed below:
Cost of Materials
The primary factor that affects the price of a mattress is the cost of materials used in its manufacturing.
While you can easily find cheaper mattresses in the market, what you may not realize is that these mattresses use basic polyester covers, polyurethane foam, and steel connected coils that are not very comfortable to sleep on.
If it’s the comfort you’re after, you will have to consider investing in mattresses that use latex, organic, or natural materials, memory foam, and pocketed coils.
They not only make the mattress super-comfortable but quite expensive too. It won’t be wrong to say that the cost of materials is the primary factor that makes a mattress so expensive.
Memory Foam Mattresses
Ranging from $600 to $1200 in price, mattresses made of memory foam are soft and bouncy, comfortable, and absorbent.
It comes with the benefit of absorbing motion, which ensures that you stay asleep even when your partner or pet is restless.
These mattresses range from $700 to $1200 in price.
They use two layers of coils for support instead of the one layer that is common in cheaper mattresses. Innerspring mattresses may be covered by foam, fiber, or any other upholstery materials.
A hybrid mattress can cost you anywhere between $1200 and $2000. They combine the plush comfort of latex or memory foam with coil support.
Latex mattresses are more expensive mattresses that fall in the price range of $1500 to $2500.
They are made from high-quality, expensive latex, which is very bouncy, hypoallergenic (excellent resistance to mold and dust mites), and extremely durable.
Ranging from $1500 to $2500 in cost, air mattresses are the most comfortable of all mattresses types; hence, they’re also the most expensive.
They consist of air chambers instead of coil layers as the primary support system.
Shipping costs can really shoot the price of a mattress up. If you’re purchasing a mattress that has been manufactured locally, it will cost you less than a mattress that is imported from some other country.
Mattresses are extremely bulky, large items, and their shipping charges are huge!
So, if you’re wondering why that simple, memory foam mattress that you’re looking at is so insanely expensive, you might want to give the country of manufacture a look!
It is no hidden fact that the manufacturing of mattresses makes use of a lot of labor. The cost of labor is one of the major factors that make mattresses so expensive.
We often do not consider this factor when complaining about why mattresses are so expensive.
A company has to pay the laborers a reasonable wage along with guaranteed benefits, as are stated by the state and federal law.
When a company adds this cost to the cost of a mattress, its price automatically skyrockets.
The production cost is the overall cost of all the resources that are used during the making of a mattress.
These resources include electricity, gas, the cost of machinery, maintenance costs of the manufacturing plant, etc.
Mattresses that are more expensive are usually manufactured using high-quality materials in top-quality and highly efficient manufacturing plants.
Cost of Customization
Some manufacturers offer customization, which obviously means that the mattress becomes more expensive.
With custom fabric selection and monogramming, among many other add-ons, a premium mattress with a premium price is readied.
Also, there are some mattresses that are dual-sided, with each side offering a different level of comfort.
A mattress that provides dual-comfort is more expensive than a single-sided one!
Cost of Workmanship
Many luxury brands focus considerably on workmanship, which is yet another factor that makes mattresses expensive.
Handmade coil units and high-degree hand stitching are some of the practices that are commonly seen in high-end mattress brands. The bigger the brand, the more expensive the mattress will be.
Marketing is a vital tool for any brand. The better a brand’s marketing campaign is, the more reach it will have, which will translate into more sales.
However, effecting marketing campaigns don’t come cheap. Marketing costs are also included in the price that you are paying for your premium mattress.
Now you know why mattresses are so expensive.
Just like most (if not all) commercial products, you aren’t paying for just the mattress alone, but also for the material that is used to make it, the resources that go into its manufacturing, the labor costs, shipping charges, and a chunk of what you pay is for the brand name itself!
How to Save Money While Buying Mattresses?
The premium price of a mattress does indicate greater quality but only to a certain extent.
It is recommended that you spend no more than $500 to $1200 on a new mattress.
Just because there are mattresses that cost more than that upper limits doesn’t mean that they’ll give you a better night’s sleep than a mattress that costs you $1200.
Excessively high mattresses prices are mainly attributed to massive markups in addition to the numerous costs listed earlier.
Wouldn’t it be great if you could get an amazing mattress for yourself and also get to save some money?
If you’re done asking, “why are mattresses so expensive?”, and instead want to ask, “How can I save money on a mattress?” there are numerous ways to save money when you’re buying a new mattress.
- Do your research. If you don’t know what a product is supposed to cost, you’ll always end up overpaying for it. This is equally true for mattresses. You should know what qualities you want in a mattress, what the market norm is in terms of prices, and what the best product is that you can get in your budget. The better your research is, the more money you will be able to save!
- Compare prices. Once you know what type of a mattress you want, look around for retailers have what you need in stock and compare the prices offered by each of them. You might even get some great deals if you go deal hunting in the right places.
- Test the twin mattress before you buy it. Lying down on the mattress that you’re planning on buying is a great way to know how the mattress will feel when you eventually buy it.
- Look for the right time to buy a mattress. Numerous brands and retailers announce seasonal sales, which can help you save a significant amount of money. Also, there are certain months when sales are fairly low. In such a period, the chances that the retailers will be more willing to offer discounts are high! Bargaining is a great way to save some more money as well.
- Shop online. With online shopping revolutionizing the way people shop, numerous retailers offer discount coupons when you buy one of their products. A particularly good deal will get you up to 50% off on a mattress of your choice!
- Negotiate on delivery charges. When you are buying a mattress, negotiate on how much the retailer is going to charge you to deliver the mattress to your home. In the case of online shopping, you more than often get free shipping.
- Ask for freebies. After all, you’re already paying so much for the mattress. It doesn’t hurt to ask for freebies like pillowcases, mattress cover, or bed sheets. While it may not work every time, you might get more than you pay for on some occasions.
If you’ve ever wondered why mattresses are so expensive, well, you’ve got your answer now.
This blog post explained the different factors that affect a mattress’s cost – the material used, shipping costs, labor, production, etc.
Yes, a good mattress is going to set you back quite a bit, but since you can’t compromise on your sleep quality, investing in a good mattress is surely worth it!